THE KNIGHT OF GLIN
Built circa 1780 as a plain three storey double bow fronted house by the 24th Knight of Glin, Col. John Fitzgerald. The long service wing to the west of the main house, possibly incorporates the earlier house, which itself replaced a thatched house, that burnt in 1740.
The financial situation in 1801 prevented the 25th Knight of Glin from finishing the second floor and most of this floor remained unfinished and unused up to the early 1980’s.
The brief called for an additional five bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms. Before attending to these issues the fabric of the existing volume (the top floor) needed investigation as the floors were in need of attention. The roof covering also needed to be replaced. The neoclassical ceiling over the staircase, (over which there would ultimately be a bedroom suite), was of overwhelming significance and needed special protection, from above.