Conack Construction Ltd. commenced building works June 2017 on the new three storey stand-alone extension incorporating a PE Hall with associated changing facilities at the existing secondary school - Colaiste Iosaef, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick.
The development is due for completion October 2018.
The school grounds are located on the Northern edge of the town, in the townland of Abbeyfarm between the River Loobagh and the Limerick Road. Coláiste Iósaef was established in 1998 and represents a coming together of the two traditions in post-primary education - the secondary and the vocational.
The current school was created as Coláiste Iósaef Community College from an amalgamation of St. Joseph’s Secondary School and St. Peters’ College. The college sits on the outskirts of Kilmallock, a town where the history of education dates back to a collegiate monastery built in the town almost five hundred years ago. The school rests on the grounds previously upon which the secondary boarding school had been founded by the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul the Apostle in 1933. The school has undergone various extensions since that time with the most recent and substantial extension completed in circa 2000.
The existing school building has a floor area of circa 2,530sqm with the PE Hall building to the rear having a building footprint of 395sqm
The original boarding school building was constructed in 1933. It is a protected structure as noted in the Kilmallock Local Area Plan. It is modest institutional building and reflective of its time with its main elevation facing due south towards the old town wall. The building does not address the street / road in any formal way. The building has been extended over the years with the most recent extension being completed in 1999.
The old town wall is a national monument dating back approx 800 years. In assessing the site, it was deemed appropriate to locate the proposed extension away from the national monument and to be positioned in such a way so as to not impact on the context of the protected structure.
This approach suggested that the proposed extension was located to the northern portion of the site.
Some recent aerial photographs courtesy of Skyview Photography.